Aller au contenu. | Aller à la navigation

Navigation

Navigation
Menu de navigation
Vous êtes ici : Accueil / EN / The 5 villages / La Minerie
Actions sur le document

La Minerie

 

"Petit village deviendra grand" (literally translated as 'small village will become big') is a Belgian saying that will undoubtedly become true owing to the large number of land plots available for construction in the middle of the mining village and its surroundings.

La Minerie owes its name to the fact that it had been the centre for several coal pits whose veins were close to the surface. In 1827, the Dutch government awarded the JEANSSON and MOREAU families the BURES concessions.

The families were succeeded by the « Charbonnages Reunis de la Minerie », a company that extracted the majority of the Battice, Herve, Charneux and, of course, La Minerie pits.

laminerie01.jpg
laminerie02.jpg

 

In 1842, a church was built dedicated to Saint-Pierre next to the lime trees in the village's square.

It was partially destroyed during the second world war. A few hundred metres away lies the tranquil hamlet of Bèfve, mirroring the residents of les Filles de la croix rest home, which was bought by Thimister-Clermont commune in 1993 and is currently run by the CPAS.

The twisted paths and the random tracks guide walkers to either the Margarins, Roiseleux, Fond Jowa or Stockis where a little chapel was erected in honour of Sainte-Odile of Alsace, patron saint for eye complaints.