Aller au contenu. | Aller à la navigation

Navigation

Navigation
Menu de navigation
Vous êtes ici : Accueil / EN / Tourism / Architectural heritage / Place de la Halle

Place de la Halle


 
hotelvilleclt01.jpg

 

The Place de la Halle in Clermont-sur-Berwinne is often described as a harmonious ensemble of buildings exhibiting the various architectural styles of Belgium over the years.

In 1888, the old Hôtel de Ville (town hall) which overhung the road was demolished. The complex that was built in its place pleasantly imitated what was in existance during the Mosan Renaissance period. The tourelle was an innovation: it was named "La poivrière" (the pepperpot). A sculpted insignia representing Saint-Jacques le Majeur was included on it. The previous building had been used as a court room and as a meeting place for the use of the communal authorities.